What is Piles?
Piles or Hemorrhoids are vascular structures in the anal canal which help with stool control. They become pathological or piles when swollen or inflamed. In their physiological state they act as a cushion composed of arterio-venous channels and connective tissue that aid the passage of stool. The symptoms of pathological hemorrhoids depend on the type present. Internal hemorrhoids usually present with painless rectal bleeding while external hemorrhoids present with pain in the area of the anus.
- The primary cause of piles is chronic constipation and other bowel disorders. The straining in order to evacuate the constipated bowels, and the pressure thus caused on the surrounding veins leads to piles.
- Prolonged periods of standing or sitting
- Strenuous work
- General weakness of the tissues of the body
- Mental tension
- Heredity factors
- Pain in the rectum while passing stools
Piles Prevention Tips:
- Bathe in a warm tub of plain water for about ten minutes to soothe and ease the spain and discomfort
- Use ice packs to help reduce swelling
- Apply petroleum jelly, cortisone creams, hemorrhoidal cream or suppositories to the affected area for a limited period to relieve the itch and pain
- Increase your intake of fiber such as fruit, whole grains and vegetables into your diet
- Drink at least six to eight glasses of water daily for softer, bulkier stools
- Wear cotton underwear and loose clothing to avoid irritation and discomfort
- After bowel movements, clean the anus area gently by patting with moist toilet paper, pads or even ‘baby wipes’
Piles Home Remedies:
- Figs (Anjeer): Use hot water to clean three or four figs and then soak them overnight. Eat the figs next morning and drink the water in which they were soaked. It is beneficial if you eat the figs in the evening as well. This effective piles home remedy must be repeated for at least three to four weeks. The figs contain tiny seeds that stimulate the peristaltic movement in the intestines. This causes a bowel movement thus keeping the alimentary canal clean. This is one of the most effective home remedies for piles as it alleviates the pressure on the anal region and the hemorrhoids begin to contract. Therefore in order to get rid of piles, constipation must be avoided at all costs.
- Mango seeds: Mango seeds seem to be an effective cure for piles. The seeds must be properly dried, powdered and stored in a clean, dry place. One or two teaspoons of this powder must be consumed two times a day. You can use this natural piles treatment at home to reduce the swelling and inflammation which will consequently reduce your pain and discomfort.
- Radish (Muli): White radish helps alleviate the symptoms of piles. Consume a mixture of 100 mg of grated white radish and a teaspoon of honey, or drink the juice of this vegetable twice a day, about 60 to 90 ml. This piles home remedy can be used as an external medication as well. Make a paste of white radish mixed with milk and apply it on the affected area to experience relief from the swelling and the pain.
- Turnip (Shalgum): The leaves of turnip have been found useful in this disease. The juice of these leaves should be extracted and 150 ml given to the patient. It is, however, necessary to take a proper diet of raw fruits and vegetables while taking this juice. For better results, 50 ml of the juice should be mixed with equal quantities of juices of watercress, spinach, and carrots.
- Bitter Gourd: The juice of the fresh leaves of bitter gourd is also valuable in piles. Three teaspoons of the leaf juice, mixed with a glass of buttermilk, should be taken every morning for treating this condition. A paste of the roots of the bitter gourd plant can also be applied over piles with beneficial results.
- Ginger: Ginger is also useful in this disease. Half a teaspoon of fresh ginger juice, mixed with one teaspoon each of fresh lime juice and fresh mint juice, and a tablespoon of honey, constitutes an effective medicine for piles.
- Onion: Onions are valuable in bleeding piles. About thirty grams of this vegetable should be finely rubbed in water and sixty grams of sugar added to it. It should be taken twice daily by the Patient. It will bring relief within a few days. Onion is also useful in the treatment of dry piles. A crushed onion, skinned and roasted in aches, may be applied with beneficial results.
- Wheat Grass: Wheat grass juice used as an enema helps detoxify the walls of the piles. The general procedure is to give an enema with lukewarm or margosa water. After waiting for twenty minutes, 90 to 120 ml of the wheat grass juice enema is given. This should be retained for fifteen minutes.
- Sesame Seeds: Sesame seeds are also valuable in piles. They can be taken in the form of a decoction by boiling twenty grams of seeds in 500 ml of water till it is reduced by one-third, or as sweetmeats. Ground to paste with water, they can be given with butter for bleeding piles.