What is Tuberculosis?
MTB, or TB (short for tubercle bacillus) is a common, and in
many cases lethal, infectious disease caused by various strains
of mycobacteria, usually Mycobacterium tuberculosis.Tuberculosis
usually attacks the lungs but can also affect other parts of the
body. It is spread through the air when people who have an
active MTB infection cough, sneeze, or otherwise transmit their
saliva through the air. Most infections in humans result in an
asymptomatic, latent infection, and about one in ten latent
infections eventually progress to active disease, which, if left
untreated, kills more than 50% of those infected.
- Lowered resistance or devitalisation of the system is the chief cause of this disease.
- Drinking excessive alcohol
- Taking improper and inadequate foods
- Living in ill-ventilated houses
- Exposure to cold
- Loss of sleep
- Impure air
- Sedentary life
- Use of tobacco
- Liquor intake
- Patient loses strength, colour, and weight.
- Rise in temperature, especially in the evening
- Persistent cough and hoarseness
- Difficulty in breathing
- Pain in the shoulders
- Chest pain
- Blood in the sputum
Tuberculosis Home Remedies:
- Milk Diet: The chief therapeutic agent needed for the treatment of tuberculosis is calcium. Milk is the richest food source for the supply of organic calcium to the body and should be taken liberally.
- Custard Apple (Sitaphal): Custard apple is regarded as one of the most valuable remedies for tuberculosis. It is said to contain the qualities of rejuvenating drugs. Ayurvedic practitioners prepare a fermented liquor called sitaphalasava from this fruit, when in season, for use as a medicine in the treatment of this disease. The pulp of two custard apples and twenty-five seedless raisins should be boiled in water on a slow fire. When about one-third of the water is left, it should be filtered, and then mixed with two teaspoons of powdered sugar candy, and a quarter teaspoon each of the powder of cardamom, cinnamon, and certain other condiments.
- Indian Gooseberry (Amla): The Indian gooseberry is another valuable remedy for tuberculosis. A tablespoon each of fresh indian gooseberry juice and honey, mixed together, should be taken every morning in treating this disease. Its regular use will promote vigour and vitality in the body within a few days
- Pineapple: Pineapple juice is beneficial in the treatment of tuberculosis. It has been found to be effective in dissolving mucus and aiding recovery. This juice was used regularly in the past in treating this disease when it was more common than it is at present. One glass of pineapple juice is recommended daily
- Banana: Bananas are considered useful in tuberculosis. The juice of the plantain or the ordinary cooking bananas works miracles in tile cure of tuberculosis. It claims to have cured patients in an advanced stage of this disease with frequent cough, abundant expectoration and high fever in two months, by this treatment
- Orange: Oranges are useful in the treatment of tuberculosis. A glass of orange juice should be mixed with a pinch of salt and a tablespoon of honey and taken daily by the patient. Due to its saline action in the lungs, it eases expectoration and protects the body from secondary infections.
- Bottle Gourd (Lauki): The use of bottle gourd is considered an effective remedy for tuberculosis. Bottle gourd is one of the best vegetables for tuberculosis patients. Regular use of cooked bottle gourd helps in developing immunity against tubercular germs
- Mint (Pudina): The fresh juice of mint has also been found useful in this disease. A teaspoon of this juice, mixed with two teaspoons of pure malt vinegar and an equal quantity of honey, should be stirred in 120 ml of carrot juice. This should be given as a medicinal tonic thrice daily in the treatment of tuberculosis. It liquefies the sputum, nourishes the lungs, increases body resistance against infection, and prevents the harmful effects of anti-tubercular drugs